Bob Solger Bio
Solar Design Studio’s founder and managing partner, Bob Solger, first entered the green space in 2003 when he launched the Energy Savings Store – a small firm specializing in the design, procurement, and installation of solar and wind systems throughout Missouri and Kansas.
As a result of Bob’s extensive knowledge in renewable power consulting and engineering, the Energy Savings Store eventually became the largest solar and wind provider in Missouri. The company also participated in several US Green Building Council (USGBC) projects that went on to achieve LEED Platinum and Gold Certification status. And by 2009, the Energy Savings Store was responsible for 1 MW of total installed renewable power capacity spread across 185 separate installations.
Shortly before selling the Energy Savings Store in 2010, Bob launched Solar Design Studio – an international firm that specializes in photovoltaic (PV) design, consulting, financing, and engineering.
Higher Education Credentials
Bob is a seasoned solar veteran who devotes the bulk of his time developing and managing PV projects for Solar Design Studio’s clients. However, he also understands the importance of sharing his unique experiences with those who are just beginning their clean energy careers.
In addition to managing Solar Design Studio full time, Bob also remains deeply involved in education, helping to train budding professionals in his capacity as a:
- Solar and Wind Energy Adjutant Professor at State Fair Community College (Sedalia, MO)
- Solar PV Instructor at Metropolitan Community College (Kansas City, MO)
- Solar PV Instructor at SAGE Group (Kansas City, MO)
Associations and Memberships
Bob credits much of his success to the ongoing support he receives as a member of several renewable energy organizations, including:
- The Kansas City Chapter of USGBC.
- The Heartland Renewable Energy Society and Solar Energy Subcommittee.
- The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA).
- The Missouri Solar Energy Industries Association (MOSEIA) – as a founding member and current board member.
In addition, he was previously a board member of the Metropolitan Energy Center.
Awards and Accomplishments
Over the years, Bob has earned numerous awards in honor of his lifelong dedication to solar energy. Some of his more recent accolades include:
- MOSEIA’s 2011 Solar Pioneer Award for "Visionary Leadership and Dedication."
- 2007’s Healthy Planet Green Hero of St. Louis.
- SunPower’s first Premier Dealer in the Midwest.
Bob is always honored whenever his sustainability efforts receive the attention of industry peers. But his proudest accomplishments stem from the actual work itself, whether he is installing:
- The first large commercial solar array in the Kansas City area.
- The first commercial project in St. Louis to combine both solar energy and wind power.
As Solar Design Studio continues to fulfill its larger mission of greening the world, Bob hopes to add even more such “firsts” to his growing list of accomplishments.
To learn more about Solar Design Studio’s history under Bob Solger’s leadership, read our About Us page.
And if you’d like more information about how Solar Design Studio can help you achieve your own clean energy goals, schedule a free appointment with our sustainability experts today.
- Designed 30 – 50 KW Microgrid systems for remote telecommunications applications totaling 1.5 MW of systems.
- Designed off grid system for powering water tower site.
- Prepared solar financial feasibility analysis, as well as designed solar pv systems for deployment to 47 low to moderate income housing sites.
- Designed 75 KW Solar PV system for Unity Temple on the Plaza, Kansas City, MO.
- Designed for Kansas City and Power Light (KCPL) 40 - 25 KW Solar PV Systems for deployment to City of Kansas City, MO government buildings.
- Designed 13 - 25 KW Solar PV Systems for City of North Kansas City.
- Designed multiple 25 KW Solar PV carport systems.
- Designed several 1 - 2 MW solar projects for Solar developers in Maryland and Massachusetts.
- Designed 6.5 MW solar project for North Carolina developer.
- Developed solar leasing, solar leasing and Purchase Power Agreement (PPA) product offerings for EPC and solar integrators.
- Financial feasibility studies for installing solar pv systems for low to moderate income housing projects and hospitality industry sites.
- Microgrid deployment strategies for remote telecommunication sites.
- Consulting service with large Investor Owned Utility (IOU) focusing on the financial impact of utilizing renewable energy.
- Business consulting services with Midwest manufacturer of solar power equipment.
- Strategic business, market development and technology application with one of Europe’s leading solar thermal equipment manufacturers and solar integration firms.
- Business development, marketing and sales operations with several Midwestern solar integration firms.
- Technology application services with a leading North American solar pv equipment manufacturer.
- Financial feasibility validation services for the leasing and financing of solar projects to US based owners of projects.
- Engineering and design services for both solar pv and solar heating and cooling systems.